Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Red Purse

A few weeks ago I decided to try out a new purse pattern. My friend Eva was over and she had the pattern in a book and on the cover of the book it looked really cool. So I got everything cut out and then the pieces sat on the counter for a few days. I was actually scared to get started. This purse was totally different from any other I had ever made. It also had strange sounding instructions that were difficult for me to understand. So for a few days I just stared at the cut pieces.

FYI, the exterior fabric of the bag comes from a scarf made of 100% cotton that was given to me by my Mom. She has given me several scarves to see what I can do with them...

The strangest piece to me was the 'u' shaped piece that needed to be sewn between the two side pieces of both the outside and the lining. The exterior also got pleated, but the lining was not. That part I could figure out...no problem.

Once I finally got started, it went pretty well. That 'u' shaped thing though needed lots and lots of pins to make sure I really got it right.






Here is the final result of the exterior before I get the top sewed on.


















The pattern called for just sewing in some loops to attach wood handles, and as you can see, I opted for traditional handles.







Then there was the challenge of getting the tops sewed to the base of the bag. What you don't see is that I had to pin and re-pin this three times! It was after the first pinning when I figured out that this was also when I needed to be sewing in the lining. I also learned after this purse was done to iron a little flap on the lining side of the top before any pinning and sewing is done...just a little short cut I learned in the process of the doing.








Here is the final result! This has got to be the hardest sewing project I have ever done to date and I learned a lot in the process. Already I know where I would change things. First, I would make the body of the bag bigger. Second, that 'u' shaped thing has got to be changed! Third, the entire bag does not need to be stiffened with pellon.


So with the things I have learned...I have already cut out another bag, this time a pink and green one.





No comments:

Post a Comment